Not currently on view
- Unknown (Austrian)
- Christ Riding a Donkey (Palmesel)
- ca. 1450
- Polychrome wood
- 61 x 56 3/4 x 19 3/4 in. Overall
- Elvehjem Museum of Art Membership Fund purchase through the Glenn McHugh Bequest
- Accession No.
- Holcomb, Melanie, Maria Saffiotti Dale, and Catherine Janis. "A Guide to Medieval Art in Midwestern Campus Collections," in Christina Nielsen, ed., "To Inspire and Instruct: A History of Medieval Art in Midwestern Museums." Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008. p. 189
- Elvehjem Art Center. "Bulletin 1976-1977." Madison: Elvehjem Art Center, 1977. pp. 13, 14, 58
- Donnelly, Marian C. "A Note on the Elvehjem Palmesel." Bulletin 1981-1983. Elvehjem Museum of Art (1983): 32-35. pp. 32-35
- Horlbeck, Frank R. "Gloria, Laud and Honor: The Palmesel and Palm Sunday." Elvehjem Museum of Art Bulletin, 1977-1978. Elvehjem Museum of Art (1978): 26-37. pp. 26-37
- Elvehjem Museum of Art. "Handbook of the Collection." Elvehjem Museum of Art, University of Wisconsin-Madison. Madison, 1990. p. xii, no. 18
- Bruzelius, Caroline and Jill Meredith. "The Brummer Collection of Medieval Art: The Duke University Museum of Art." Durham and London: Duke University Press, 1991. p. 233, pl. 32.2
- Harris, Max. "Christ on a Donkey : Palm Sunday, Triumphal Entries, and Blasphemous Pageants." Kalamazoo: Arc Humanities Press, 2019. pp. 221-222
The Chazen Museum of Art welcomes comments or inquiries about works in our collection. Please allow two–three weeks for a response. Chazen staff is not able to provide valuations or authentications and such inquiries cannot be answered.