Elvehjem : Gallery : 1 : Case
- The Timokrates Painter (near)
(Greek, Attic, active ca. 470-ca. 460 B.C.)
- Oil Jar (Lekythos) with Two Women Carrying Funerary Gifts
- ca. 460 B.C.
- Hellenistic period
- Earthenware with red-figure decoration on white-ground
- At shoulder: 15 7/8 x 5 1/4 in. Overall
- Edna G. Dyar Fund and Fairchild Foundation Fund purchase
- Accession No.
- Alden, Maureen. " 'Ancient Greek Dress' Costume." The Journal of the Costume Society (May, 2003). pp. 1-16, pl. IIIA
- Lynch, Gay. "Greek Gravemarkers Heed the Warning," Markers XX, Gravestone Studies (2003). pp. 289, 290, no. 8
- Oakley, John H. "Picturing Death in Classical Athens: The Evidence of the White Lekythoi." Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Elvehjem Museum of Art. "Ancient Etruscan and Greek Vases in the Elvehjem Museum of Art." University of Wisconsin Regents. Madison, Wis., 2000. pp. 23, 61, no. 40; pl. 7
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. "The Classical World: Aegean Art." Art History Image Search, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. Online. Mar 7, 2003. <http://facstaff.uww.edu/henigec/imagesearch/index.htm>;
- Moon, Warren G, and Louise Berge. "Greek Vase-painting In Midwestern Collections." Chicago: The Art Institute, 1979.
- Elvehjem Art Center. "Bulletin 1970-1971." Madison: Elvehjem Art Center, 1971. p. 44
- Elvehjem Museum of Art. "Handbook of the Collection." Elvehjem Museum of Art, University of Wisconsin-Madison. Madison, 1990. no. 5
- Havelock, Christine M. ed., and Stephen L. Hyatt. "Mourners on Greek Vases: Remarks in the Social History of Women," in "The Greek Vase." Troy, NY: 1981. p. 115, pl. 93
- D. C. Kurtz. "Athenian White Lekythoi: Patterns and Painters." Oxford 1975. pp. 27, 45, 206, pl. 25.3
- W. Biers. "Outline of Greek Archaeology." Cornell 1979. no. 8.60
- Greek Vase-Painting in Midwestern Collections: The Art Institute of Chicago, 12/22/1979-2/24/1980
The Chazen Museum of Art welcomes comments or inquiries about works in our collection. Please allow two–three weeks for a response. Chazen staff is not able to provide valuations or authentications and such inquiries cannot be answered.