Elvehjem : Gallery : 6
- Unknown (Nigerian, Edo People)
- Commemorative Head of a Chief (uhunmwun-elao)
- late 19th-early 20th century
- Wood, brass, coconut shell inlay
- 25 5/8 x 11 x 9 3/4 in. overall
- J. David and Laura Seefried Horsfall Endowment Fund purchase
- Accession No.
- Roy, Christopher D. "Kilengi: African Art from the Bareiss Family Collection." Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1997. pp. 45, 301, 406, no. 199
- Sotheby's, New York. "African, Oceanic, and Pre-Columbian Art." African, Oceanic, and Pre-Columbian Art, Nov. 11, 2004. lot 72
- Chazen Museum of Art. "Bulletin 2003-2007." Madison: Chazen Museum of Art, 2010. p. 55
- Schadler, Karl-Ferdinand. "African Art in Private German Collections." Munich: Munchner Buchgewebehaus, 1973. no. 279
- Rarey, Matthew Francis and Henry John Drewal. "Never at Rest: African Art at the University of Wisconsin." African Arts, vol 53, no. 4 (2020): 68-85. fig. 6
- Perspectives: African Art from the Bareiss Family Collection: Elvehjem Museum of Art, 4/16/2004-5/15/2005
- Kilengi: African Art from the Bareiss Family Collection: Kestner Gesellschaft, 1/1/1997-1/10/2000
The Chazen Museum of Art welcomes comments or inquiries about works in our collection. Please allow two–three weeks for a response. Chazen staff is not able to provide valuations or authentications and such inquiries cannot be answered.