Not currently on view
- Utagawa Hiroshige
(Japanese, 1797 - 1858)
- The Otsuki Plain in Kai Province, no. 31 from the series Thirty-six Views of Mt. Fuji
- Color woodcut
- 340 x 224 mm Overall
- Bequest of John H. Van Vleck
- Accession No.
By 1925, purchased by Frank Lloyd Wright; ca. 1926, acquired by The Bank of Wisconsin; 1928, sold to Edward Burr Van Vleck (Madison, WI); 1943, passed through inheritance to Edward’s son, John H. Van Vleck (Madison, WI); 9 January 1980, bequeathed by John H. Van Vleck to the Elvehjem Museum of Art [now called Chazen Museum of Art]
- Schlombs, Adele. "Hiroshige: 1797-1858." Koln, Germany: Taschen, 2007. p. 2
- Elvehjem Museum of Art. "Hiroshige ten: Seitan 200-shunen kinen (200th Anniversary Hiroshige Exhibition)." Madison, WI: Elvehjem Museum of Art; Japan: Bun You Associates, 1996. no. 107
- Marks, Andreas. "Hokusai: Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji." Cologne: Taschen, 2021. p. 14, no. 11
- 200th Anniversary Hiroshige Exhibition (Hiroshige ten: seiten 200-shunen kinen): Elvehjem Museum of Art, 4/29/1996–12/8/1996
The Chazen Museum of Art welcomes comments or inquiries about works in our collection. Please allow two–three weeks for a response. Chazen staff is not able to provide valuations or authentications and such inquiries cannot be answered.
"*" indicates required fields