Chazen : Gallery : 15
- Katsushika Hokusai
(Japanese, 1760 - 1849)
- Behind the Wave off Kanagawa (Kanagawa oki nami ura) or The Great Wave, from the series Thirty-six Views of Mt. Fuji (Fugaku sanjūrokkei)
- Color woodcut
- 262 x 380 mm Overall
- Bequest of John H. Van Vleck
- Accession No.
- Schlombs, Adele. "Hiroshige: 1797-1858." Koln, Germany: Taschen, 2007. p. 41
- Chazen Museum of Art. "Three Directions: teamLab - Tenmyouya Hisashi - Ikeda Manabu." Madison: Chazen Museum of Art, 2014. p. 67, fig. 2
- Korenberg, Capucine. "The Making and Evolution of Hokusai's Great Wave." Late Hokusai Project 2020. Trustees of the British Museum, 2020. Accessed November 18, 2020. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5894f3ce8419c22d5f0c53c1/t/5f7c8edaf065374c1c5f3340/1601998568973/Korenberg+Article+for+Hokusai++edited+volume+final+2020.pdf p. 8, 20, 21
- Japanese Masterworks: Woodblock Prints from the Chazen Museum of Art Collection: Chazen Museum of Art, 5/6/2016-8/14/2016
- Print Tsunami: Japonisme and Paris: Chazen Museum of Art, 7/3/2015-8/23/2015
- Garden of Unearthly Delights: Works by Ikeda, Tenmyouya & teamLab: Japan Society, 10/10/2014-1/11/2015
- Gifts of the Ebb Tide: The Sea in Japanese Prints: Chazen Museum of Art, 6/8/2013-9/1/2013
The Chazen Museum of Art welcomes comments or inquiries about works in our collection. Please allow two–three weeks for a response. Chazen staff is not able to provide valuations or authentications and such inquiries cannot be answered.