The Chazen building is open daily, with temporary exhibitions in the Rowland and Garfield galleries, and works from the permanent collection throughout the galleries. The galleries in the Elvehjem building are closed during renovation; offices and classrooms and the Kohler Art Library in the Elvehjem building are open per their respective schedules.
More questions? See our FAQ.
The mask requirement has been lifted. As always, please don’t touch anything—especially your face! If you are feeling unwell, please stay home and visit the museum online. The university’s current COVID information is here.
Coat & Storage Lockers
Please store backpacks, large bags, or parcels in the storage lockers provided. Feel free to hang your coat in the coatroom.
There are male, female, and gender-inclusive restrooms on the first floor of the Chazen building; all are accessible and have changing tables. There are two gender-inclusive restrooms on the second floor, one of which is accessible. There are accessible male and female restrooms on the third floor. Restrooms in the Elvehjem building are open, although the galleries are closed during renovation.
Lost and Found
Please turn found items in to the Visitor Services desk. You can direct inquiries regarding lost items to firstname.lastname@example.org or the Visitor Services Assistant on duty.
- You may take photographs or video in the permanent collection for personal use only, using a hand-held camera without a flash.
- You must obtain prior permission to use tripods, lights, and larger more complex camera equipment, to photograph objects on loan or temporary exhibitions, and for photography/videography for any purpose other than personal use. Contact email@example.com for permission and scheduling.
- Members of the media may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for scheduling.
Sketching in the Galleries
- Visitors may sketch using graphite pencils and drawing pads no larger than 36 × 36 inches.
- Pastels, crayons, ink paint, tape measures, and easels are not permitted without prior permission.
- Visitors must sit at least four feet from a work while sketching or writing.
The Chazen welcomes service animals trained to perform a specific task, or to work for a visitor with a disability. Thinking of bringing an emotional support or therapy animal for your visit? Please contact visitor services at 608-262-9677 or email@example.com.
All Visitor Services Assistants have completed a dementia-friendly training, hosted by a dementia care specialist from Dane County Human Services. If you are visiting the museum with a guest who has dementia and would like guidance, please let the VSAs on duty know and they will be happy to assist.
For more information about disability accommodations, please visit our accessibility page.
The Chazen Café and retail shop is open serving hot and cold beverages, snacks, and art-themed retail items.
Visitor Services Assistants
You will find helpful Visitor Services Assistants at the information desk and in the galleries.
Download or view a pdf map of the Chazen.